Saturday, April 13, 2013

De Drie Graefjes

My personal road to hell is paved with cake. Sad, but true. And one place destined to speed me to my destination is De Drie Graefjes, Rokin 128.

This small venue calls itself a 'Lunchroom, High Tea and American Bakery'. I prefer to call it 'The Devil's Cake Shop'!


Look at that window display! If that isn't temptation, I don't know what is! Decadence, glamour and calorific fabulosity on a cake stand.  Stand aside and let me feast!

Cupcakes - just take your pick - everyone an individual work of art. Luxuriate in their calorific glow:



There is a cake on the menu called 'Red Velvet'- a rich, dark red, moist sponge, three layers high, sandwiched with thick vanilla butter icing.  Sorry - no photo, had to dive straight into it!  A portion of this is enough to set anyone up for the day (or week!)  Ambrosia couldn't manage a whole piece, and that is a first! The kind waitress was quite happy to pack the rest up for us to enjoy at home, so I doubt if I was the first to be beaten by this leviathan.

There is a full lunch menu: sandwiches, salads, soups... all delicious I'm sure, but I can't get past the cakes.  There is also a particularly nice selection of teas to go with. Try the lychee.

The ambiance of the Drie Graefjes is pleasant. Golden glittery lamps and a golden glittery panel behind the bar.  Very nice, if you can take your eyes off your plate.  There are a couple of tables outside, but I wouldn't recommend sitting out on busy Damrak, with trams clanging past every two minutes.

Having checked out De Drie Graefjes website (http://www.dedriegraefjes.nl/), I found that they have another branch just off Dam Square in Eggertstraat (behind the Nieuwe Kerk). The room upstairs is particularly nice - overlooking the pedestrian street behind the church. Same menu, different setting - this time I remembered to photograph the interior!

This location is even nicer (a quiet corner very close to the main square) and the building dates back to 1860.



Here are two of my favourite cupcakes.








No comments:

Post a Comment